JLD TV

Loading...

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Be Undercover, Love is Under the Covers...

Are there rules to be followed when it comes to dating and courtship? If so, are these rules to be established by each individual couple or are they customary from partner to partner? And speaking of partner, what are we to make of the terms used in addressing said person? Partner, boyfriend/girlfriend, old man/lady, significant other, the guy/girl I'm dating/seeing and, my personal favorite, "talking to". What godforsaken creature starting using that phrase in reference to quixotic connections?

Another question I'd like to pose this evening is why the need for the labels? Why do we feel the need to display the rank of our relationships? Do we lack confidence or trust in our partners without such designations on tap for all to see? Is it simply a way to carve out our terrain and plant the flag - mission accomplished? I'm guessing we're all guilty of the need to assert our status with those we embrace dear to our hearts...and I suppose it's acceptable, so long as that embrace doesn't become a clench...

An interesting antic dote from the friends of wikipedia: "From the scientific point of view, courtship in the animal kingdom is the process in which the different species select their partners for reproduction purposes." Shocking. "Generally speaking, the male initiates the courtship and the female chooses to either mate or reject the male based on his "performance". I ask you...are we referring to a performance that is physical or emotional? And if the performance is not up to par is it rude to sneak out during intermission? I mean really, whether I'm front row orchestra or row W mezzanine, I usually know by the end of the first act if I'm feelin' it or I'm not...

This brings me to my next question...how do we know when our relationship has elevated to the next level of the beanstalk? How many echelons are there to climb and what is protocol as altitude increases? A perceptive lass named Baby once said, "I'm afraid of walking out of this room and never feeling for the rest of my life, the way I feel when I'm with you". At what level in the game is it acceptable for a man and woman to experience and declare these emotions? Emotions, which at times, can be draining. Where can I obtain those 1-ups for stamina? How do I prevent myself from falling into the lava? Is it worth it in the end? Mario and Luigi never did explain what happens after you save the Princess...

Finally...I can get pretty cranky if I don't eat every four hours...I ask you...is this beanstalk edible?

No comments: