JLD TV

Loading...

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hurry Up and Wait...

How do you celebrate the man who molded you into the idiosyncratic, wickedly smart-mouthed, rebel without a cause you are today? My Dad needs no introduction to those closest in my life, as through the years "Jack" has become "kind of a big deal" around these parts. And by "these parts" I'm referring to me, my sister, Sharon and my brother, Tommy. (Names have been changed because we think it's funny - and by "we" I'm referring to myself.)
The next question I would like to pose is one I doubt any of you will be able to answer. How does a child grow to possess the tendencies and mindset of one parent over another? Exactly when does this selection process begin and why? Being the first child, I was lucky enough to spend equal time with both Mom and Dad, as it's well documented in the "moving pictures" that comprise my childhood photo albums. I call these albums "moving pictures" because every breathe, step and regurgitation was documented in succession. Should you flip the pages quickly, it's like watching a movie.

My Dad instilled in me the work ethic of a certified accountant on April 15th, a sarcastic bite that could make Kathy Griffin blush and love for double stuffed oreos. But again, I ask you, how did this happen? My Mom is a fabulous lady with home-making skills equivalent to that of a ninja executing espionage. Yet, I try my hardest to identify like qualities I may have acquired and all I can come up with is compassion and a conscience. Perhaps I doubt the credence to which these traits should rate on the totem pole of morale code. My Mom is a woman of many layers and, perhaps, what I am to learn from her is meant to be discovered later in life.

As I write this with a swift hand and a full heart, I can declare one notion for sure. Mom possesses the ability to recognize, attain and retain a remarkable man for nearly 30 years. Hopefully, pray tell, she intends to teach her first born this essential lesson in love. Until that class opens up for the semester, I'll sharpen my pencil...hurry up...and wait....

No comments: